Are you an interior designer looking for inspiration and exposure? Instagram might be the perfect platform for you to showcase your work and connect with potential clients.
With over 1 billion active users, Instagram has become a powerful tool for businesses to promote their brands and reach a wider audience. It’s no surprise that many interior designers have turned to Instagram to showcase their work and connect with like-minded individuals.
As a Fractional CMO for some of the most exciting design and wellness companies, I certainly have created a few Instagram strategies over time. In this article, I’ll cover the best practices for interior designers, architects, decorators, and design brands that want to leverage this powerful social media tool to grow their reach and client base.
- what are the real benefits of using Instagram for Interior Design marketing
- how you can create a strong presence on Instagram
- inspiration for posts that work well for designers
- whom you should follow if you love design
- how to get different types of clients using the ‘Gram
- what’s the difference between Instagram and Pinterest
- how to maximize the engagement (and why that matters!)
Let’s get started!
The Benefits of Using Instagram for Interior Designers
If you’re an interior designer, you’re likely always on the lookout for ways to increase your visibility and reach, engage with potential clients, and showcase your work.
As Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms for inspiration, it can be an incredibly powerful tool to help you achieve all of these goals.
Increased Visibility and Reach
With over 1 billion active users, Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms in the world. By creating an account and posting regularly, you can increase your visibility and reach an audience that may not have otherwise discovered you.
Instagram’s algorithms also make it easy for users to discover new accounts and content that they may be interested in, which means that your posts have the potential to be seen by a wider audience than just your followers.
Sidenote: while Instagram does provide you with free visibility and reach, just like every other platform, they keep changing their algorithms so it’s not a guarantee you will get the visibility you are looking for or will do that in the future.
Engagement with Potential Clients
One of the best things about Instagram is the ability to engage with potential clients in a way that feels natural and authentic. By responding to comments, direct messages, and even reposting user-generated content, you can create a sense of community and build relationships with potential clients.
This can help to establish trust and increase the likelihood that they will choose to work with you in the future.
More Articles About Sales & Marketing
Showcasing Your Work
Instagram is a visual platform, making it the perfect place to showcase your work as an interior designer. By posting high-quality photos and videos of your projects, you can give potential clients a sense of your style and aesthetic. You can also use Instagram to share behind-the-scenes glimpses of your design process, which can help to humanize your brand and make it more relatable.
In addition to these benefits, Instagram also offers a range of features that can help you grow your following and engage with your audience. For example, you can use hashtags to reach a wider audience, collaborate with other designers and brands, and even run paid advertising campaigns to promote your services.
Creating a Strong Instagram Presence
To create a strong Instagram presence as an interior designer, you need to develop a content strategy, use the Instagram grid to your advantage, add multiple links to your profile, maximize search opportunities, use Instagram stories and reels, and grow your followers.
Developing a Content Strategy
Your content strategy should be focused on showcasing your design projects, sharing your design process, and providing valuable tips and insights to your audience. To do this, you need to create a content calendar, plan your posts in advance, and use a consistent visual style.
Using the Instagram Grid to Your Advantage
The Instagram grid is a powerful tool for interior designers. You can use it to showcase your design projects, create a visual portfolio, and tell a story with your posts. Make sure to use a consistent visual style, use high-quality images, and create a cohesive look and feel across your entire grid.
Add Multiple Links To Profile
Instagram only allows you to add one link to your profile, but there are ways to add multiple links. You can use a link-in-bio tool like Linktree to create a landing page with multiple links. This will make it easier for your followers to find your website, blog, or other social media profiles.
Or, just create a page on your website that has all the relevant links and use that as your own profile link!
Maximize The Search Opportunities
Instagram has a powerful search feature that allows users to find content based on hashtags, location, and keywords.
To maximize your search opportunities, make sure to use relevant hashtags, geotags, and keywords in your posts. This will make it easier for your target audience to find your content.
Instagram Stories and Reels
Instagram stories and reels are a great way to showcase your design process, share behind-the-scenes footage, and connect with your audience on a more personal level. Make sure to use a consistent visual style, add captions, and use relevant hashtags to increase engagement.
And, have some fun with these! You don’t have to be silly or corny, but adding a bit of fun to your marketing never hurt anyone.
Stories disappear after 24 hours whereas reels will be stored in your profile! With this in mind, you can create stories that are funny and timely, and reel can be educative or inspirational.
Inspiration and Ideas for Instagram Posts
To help you get started, here are some inspiration and ideas for Instagram posts.
Plan, Plan, Plan In Advance
Before you hit the publish button, you really should have a plan…
- Consistency: Planning your Instagram content in advance helps you to maintain a consistent posting schedule. This is important for building a loyal following and keeping your followers engaged.
- Time-saving: Planning your Instagram content in advance saves you time and reduces the stress of having to come up with the content on the fly. You can create and schedule your posts in advance, freeing up time for other important tasks.
- Better quality content: Planning your Instagram content in advance allows you to create better quality content. You can take the time to curate and edit your photos and videos, write compelling captions, and ensure that your content aligns with your brand and marketing goals.
- Better engagement: Planning your Instagram content in advance allows you to create a cohesive and engaging feed that resonates with your target audience. This can lead to increased engagement, more followers, and ultimately, more customers.
- Better results: By planning your Instagram content in advance, you can track your performance and make adjustments to your strategy as needed. This can help you to achieve better results and reach your marketing goals more effectively.
Alternate The Types Of Posts
Alternating the types of Instagram posts is important for several reasons:
- Keep your audience engaged: By alternating the types of posts, you can keep your audience engaged and interested in your content. If you always post the same type of content, your audience may become bored and disinterested.
- Showcase your brand in different ways: By alternating the types of posts, you can showcase your brand in different ways. For example, you can use images, videos, carousels, and stories to tell different stories about your brand and connect with your audience in different ways.
- Reach different audiences: By alternating the types of posts, you can reach different audiences who may prefer different types of content. For example, some people may prefer to watch videos, while others may prefer to read captions.
- Improve your performance: By alternating the types of posts, you can improve your performance on Instagram. Instagram’s algorithm favors accounts that post a variety of content types, so by alternating your posts, you may see an increase in engagement, reach, and followers.
- Showcase your creativity: Alternating the types of posts allows you to showcase your creativity and experiment with different types of content. This can help you to stand out on Instagram and build a unique brand identity.
Consider Using A Publishing Tool
To make your planning and publishing as streamlined as possible, you should consider using a social media management tool that can automate much of the work for you.
- Save time: Social media management tools allow you to schedule and publish posts in advance, saving you time and effort. You can also monitor and respond to comments and messages in one place, rather than logging into each social media platform separately.
- Improve efficiency: Social media management tools can help you to manage multiple social media accounts from a single dashboard, making it easier to stay organized and efficient. You can also track your performance and analytics in one place, rather than having to log into each platform separately.
- Increase engagement: Social media management tools can help you to increase engagement by allowing you to schedule posts at optimal times and track the performance of your content. You can also use tools to monitor mentions and respond to comments and messages in a timely manner.
- Collaborate more effectively: Social media management tools can help teams to collaborate more effectively by allowing multiple users to access and manage social media accounts from a single dashboard. You can also assign tasks and track progress more easily.
- Analyze performance: Social media management tools provide analytics and reporting features that allow you to track your performance and measure the success of your social media campaigns. This can help you to make data-driven decisions and improve your social media strategy over time.
Interior Design Instagram Post Ideas
Here are some great post ideas for you to add to your content plan.
- Showcase stunning and awe-inspiring interior spaces, such as luxurious living rooms, glamorous bedrooms, or elegant dining areas.
- Share images of unique and creative design concepts, like unconventional color combinations or innovative furniture arrangements.
- Highlight breathtaking architecture, such as modern skyscrapers or historic buildings with remarkable interior design.
DIY and Home Improvement
- Provide step-by-step tutorials on DIY projects, such as creating custom shelving units or repurposing furniture.
- Share before-and-after photos of home improvement projects, like kitchen renovations or bathroom makeovers.
- Offer tips and tricks for budget-friendly interior design, including thrift store finds or clever storage solutions.
Seasonal and Holiday Décor
- Feature seasonal interior design ideas, such as cozy autumnal living rooms or vibrant springtime table settings.
- Share holiday-inspired decorations, like festive Christmas trees or spooky Halloween displays.
- Provide tips on how to incorporate seasonal accents into different spaces, from wreaths and garlands to seasonal tablescapes.
Design Trends and Styles
- Highlight current interior design trends, such as Scandinavian minimalism, bohemian chic, or industrial aesthetics.
- Showcase different design styles and their key elements, like mid-century modern, coastal, or traditional.
- Provide mood boards or color palettes that capture the essence of specific design styles.
Expert Tips and Advice
- Offer expert advice on selecting furniture, fabrics, and colors to create a cohesive and stylish space.
- Share organization and decluttering tips to maximize space and create a functional home.
- Provide practical ideas for small-space living, such as multi-functional furniture or clever storage solutions.
Interior Designers to Follow on Instagram
Instagram is a great platform for interior designers to showcase their work, connect with clients, and stay up-to-date on the latest trends. Here are some interior designers you should follow on Instagram:
Alyssa Kapito is a New York-based interior designer with a focus on creating timeless spaces that are both functional and beautiful. Her Instagram feed is filled with stunning images of her work, as well as behind-the-scenes glimpses into her design process.
Emily Henderson is an interior designer, stylist, and author known for her eclectic and approachable design style. Her Instagram feed is a mix of design inspiration, personal anecdotes, and sneak peeks of her latest projects.
Kelly Wearstler is a renowned interior designer and author known for her bold and glamorous style. Her Instagram feed is a feast for the eyes, featuring images of her stunning interiors, as well as her fashion and travel adventures.
Three Birds Renovations
These 3 Australian ladies create amazing homes. They have a very special way of creating content – and running their reno business. My daughter LOVES them (and so do I)
Laura Hammett Interiors
Laura Hammett is London-based interior architecture & design studio, specializing in luxury residential projects worldwide. Her look is classic contemporary.
Ambience Home Design
The luxury interior design firm by Germany-born Andrea Böck is based in Marbella, Spain.
Using Instagram for Residential, Commercial, and Hospitality Design
Instagram is an excellent platform for showcasing your residential design projects. You can use Instagram to share photos of your work, including before-and-after shots, design sketches, and mood boards. You can also use Instagram to share your design process by posting time-lapse videos or behind-the-scenes photos.
Instagram is also a great platform for showcasing your commercial design projects. You can use Instagram to share photos of your work, including office spaces, retail stores, and restaurants.
Instagram is becoming increasingly popular for showcasing hospitality design projects. Hotels, restaurants, and bars are using Instagram to attract potential customers by showcasing their unique designs.
The Big Difference Between Instagram and Pinterest
Instagram and Pinterest are two popular social media platforms that have some similarities, but also some key differences. The big difference between Instagram and Pinterest is their primary focus.
Instagram is primarily a photo and video-sharing platform with an in-the-moment focus. Users can post photos and videos to their profile, add captions and hashtags, and engage with other users through likes, comments, and direct messages. Instagram is also used by many businesses and influencers to promote products and services.
Pinterest, on the other hand, is primarily a visual discovery and bookmarking platform. Users can search for and save images and videos (called “pins”) to virtual boards organized by theme or topic. Pinterest is often used for inspiration, planning, and organization, and is popular among DIY enthusiasts, home decorators, and foodies.
If you think about using either or both of these popular tools to market your business, you need to understand the fundamental difference and particularly the people’s behavior on the platforms: Instagram is for inspiration and spontaneity, and Pinterest is for search. Pinterest often brings you traffic over a long period of time, while Instagram is more of a “right now” platform.
Instagram or Pinterest – Which One Is Better For Interior Designers?
Consider testing both. But, if you want quick responses to your marketing, start with Instagram. Pinterest is a search engine, and it’s great for long-term brand building and visibility.
Maximizing Engagement on Instagram
If you now know that IG is the right platform for you, then it’s time to get busy with planning and posting. But simply posting photos isn’t enough. To make the most of Instagram, you need to maximize engagement. By doing so, you can increase your reach, build your brand, and attract more followers. Here are some tips on how to maximize engagement on Instagram.
Creating Compelling Captions
Captions are an important part of your Instagram posts. They provide context, tell a story, and encourage engagement. To create compelling captions, consider the following:
- Keep it short and sweet: Instagram captions have a limit of 2,200 characters, but that doesn’t mean you should use them all. Keep your captions concise and to the point.
- Use emojis: Emojis can add personality and emotion to your captions. They can also help break up text and make it more visually appealing.
- Ask questions: Asking questions is a great way to encourage engagement. It shows that you’re interested in your followers’ opinions and encourages them to leave a comment.
Hashtags and tagging are essential for maximizing engagement on Instagram. They help your content reach a wider audience and make it easier for potential clients to find you. Here are some tips on how to use hashtags and tagging effectively:
- Use relevant hashtags: Use hashtags that are relevant to your post and your brand. Avoid using generic hashtags like #interiordesign or #homedecor, as they are too broad and won’t help you stand out.
- Use location tags: If you’re targeting a specific area, use location tags to make it easier for potential clients in that area to find you.
- Tag other accounts: If you’re featuring a product or collaborating with another account, tag them in your post. This can help increase your reach and build relationships with other accounts.
Responding to Comments and Messages
Engagement is a two-way street. If someone takes the time to leave a comment or send you a message, make sure to respond. This shows that you value your followers and are interested in what they have to say. Here are some tips on how to respond to comments and messages effectively:
- Be timely: Try to respond to comments and messages as soon as possible. This shows that you’re active and engaged on Instagram.
- Be authentic: When responding to comments and messages, be genuine and authentic. Avoid canned responses or generic replies.
- Answer questions: If someone asks a question in a comment or message, make sure to answer it. This can help build trust and credibility with your followers.
Instagram For Interior Design Firms – Is It Worth Your Time?
Shortly – most likely yes. But keep in mind: without a solid strategy, you are just wasting your time.
If you need help with creating a complete marketing strategy covering Instagram (and many other tools), you should join the Momentum!