Are you designing your home to be more healthy and happy? Interior design professionals incorporate wellness into home design because they know home is the most important place on earth – and a healthy home makes people living in it happy and well.
But how to incorporate wellness into your home? Here are 20 ideas you can start with immediately!
How to Incorporate Wellness into Home Design & Decor
Natural light is everything! For us who live in the Nordics, we only get natural light for a very limited time around the clock, and during the winter season, it’s even more limited. So, incorporating natural light into your home design helps improve your mood and can also boost Vitamin D levels in your body. Natural light is important for a home for several reasons:
- Vitamin D: Natural light boosts vitamin D levels in the body, which is important for bone health and reducing the risk of heart disease. It can also help regulate the body’s circadian rhythm, which can improve sleep quality.
- Energy savings: Natural light helps reduce the need for artificial lighting, which can save energy and reduce electricity bills.
- Mood and productivity: Natural light improves mood and productivity, and can help reduce feelings of depression and anxiety. This is incredibly important for everyone, and particularly if you are an entrepreneur building your design business!
- Aesthetics: Natural light enhances the aesthetics of a home, making it feel more welcoming and inviting. It can also make colors look more vibrant and the decor looks brighter and more eye-catching.
- Plant health: Natural light is essential for the health of indoor plants, which in turn can help purify the air and improve overall indoor air quality.
Naturally, light is an important aspect of a home’s design, as it can have a significant impact on both physical and mental health, as well as energy savings and aesthetics.
Now, let’s continue with the plants. Bringing indoor plants into the space not only adds a natural element but also purifies the air and can help reduce stress levels. Indoor plants are important for health and wellbeing for several reasons:
- Air purification: Indoor plants help purify the air by removing harmful toxins and pollutants, which can improve indoor air quality and reduce the risk of respiratory problems.
- Stress reduction: Indoor plants have been shown to help reduce stress levels and promote relaxation, which can have a positive impact on mental health and wellbeing.
- Boosted mood: Indoor plants can improve mood and help reduce feelings of anxiety and depression, which can have a positive impact on mental health and wellbeing.
- Increased productivity: Studies have shown that indoor plants can help improve focus, concentration, and productivity, which can have a positive impact on work and academic performance.
- Natural aesthetics: Indoor plants enhance the aesthetics of a space, making it feel more welcoming, inviting, and visually appealing.
- Improved sleep: Indoor plants can help improve sleep quality by promoting relaxation and reducing stress levels.
When we have plants in our home or take a hike, we see decreases in anxiety and stress.Melinda Knuth, a horticulture professor at North Carolina State
Indoor plants have a significant impact on health and wellbeing, improving air quality, reducing stress levels, boosting mood and productivity, enhancing aesthetics, and promoting better sleep.
Calming color palette
Just like natural light and indoor plants, choosing a calming color palette for a home is important for several reasons:
- Reduced stress: Calming colors can help reduce stress levels by promoting relaxation and creating a sense of calmness and tranquility.
- Improved mood: Calming colors can help improve mood and reduce feelings of anxiety and depression, which can have a positive impact on mental health and wellbeing.
- Better sleep: Calming colors can help promote better sleep by creating a relaxing and peaceful atmosphere in the bedroom.
- Aesthetics: Calming colors can enhance the aesthetics of a home, making it feel more welcoming, inviting, and visually appealing.
- Versatility: Calming colors are versatile and can be used in a variety of design styles, from traditional to modern, making them a great choice for any home.
- Longevity: Calming color palette tends to last longer in a home.
Of course, if you love bright and intense colors, feel free to add them to your space! The goal of your home design is to create a home that suits your needs, and if bright colors make you feel well and relaxed, then by all means use them in your home to make you feel good!
Overall, choosing a calming color palette for a home can have a significant impact on mental health and wellbeing, promoting relaxation, reducing stress levels, improving mood, and creating a peaceful and inviting atmosphere.
What are the best colors for a calming color palette?
There are several colors that are commonly used in a calming color palette, including:
- Blue: Shades of blue, such as light blue, powder blue, and sky blue, are often associated with calmness and relaxation, making them a popular choice for a calming color palette. Perfect for sleeping spaces.
- Green: Soft shades of green, such as sage green and mint green, create a relaxing and peaceful atmosphere, but also add energy to the room, so green is a perfect color for living spaces such as kitchens and living rooms.
- Gray: Soft shades of gray, such as dove gray and light gray, create a calming and sophisticated atmosphere, making them a popular choice for a calming color palette in all areas.
- Lavender: Shades of lavender, such as lilac and periwinkle, create a calming and soothing atmosphere, but also increase productivity, so this is a great color for your home office.
- Pink: Soft shades of pink, such as blush pink and baby pink, create a calming and romantic atmosphere, making them a popular choice for a room with feminine vibes.
- Brown: Natural colors such as browns are great colors for any space where natural touches are important. Brown works particularly well in bathrooms!
Adding comfortable seating areas around your home will improve your home’s wellbeing. Here’s why:
- Reduced physical discomfort: Comfortable seating options can help reduce physical discomforts, such as back pain and neck pain, which can be caused by sitting in an uncomfortable chair for long periods of time.
- Improved posture: Supportive seating options can help improve posture by providing proper support for the spine and reducing the risk of slouching or hunching over.
- Increased productivity: Comfortable and supportive seating options can help improve focus, concentration, and productivity, which can have a positive impact on work and academic performance.
- Closeness with the ones you love: Hanging out with the people you love is the ultimate cure for health. When you create simple groupings of comfortable seating, you invite the family for cozy evenings together.
- Time for your own thoughts: Even if getting together with family and loved ones, we all crave some alone time. Having comfortable seating in your bedroom or home office will allow you to sit alone with your thoughts, maybe journaling and meditating, and manifesting your future!
Choosing comfortable and supportive seating options can have a significant impact on both physical and mental health, reducing physical discomfort, improving posture, reducing stress levels, and increasing productivity.
Aromatherapy is not only for luxurious spas, you can add aromatherapy to your home easily to boost your overall wellbeing! Here’s why aromatherapy is important:
- Promotes relaxation: Aromatherapy helps promote relaxation and reduce stress levels, creating a peaceful and calming atmosphere in the home.
- Enhances mood: Aromatherapy enhances mood and helps reduce feelings of anxiety and depression, which can have a positive impact on mental health and wellbeing.
- Improves sleep: Aromatherapy helps promote better sleep by creating a relaxing and peaceful atmosphere in the bedroom.
- Aesthetics: Aromatherapy can enhance the aesthetics of a home, making it feel more welcoming, inviting, and visually appealing.
- Natural alternative: Aromatherapy is a natural alternative to synthetic fragrances and air fresheners, making it a great choice for those who prefer natural and eco-friendly products.
How to incorporate aromatherapy into your home
There are several ways to add aromatherapy to your home, including:
- Essential oil diffusers: Essential oil diffusers are a popular way to add aromatherapy to the home. They work by dispersing essential oils into the air, creating a natural and relaxing fragrance.
- Scented candles: Scented candles are another popular way to add aromatherapy to the home. They come in a variety of scents and can create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Room sprays: Room sprays are a quick and easy way to add aromatherapy to the home. They come in a variety of scents and can be used to freshen up any room in the house.
- Potpourri: Potpourri is a mixture of dried flowers, herbs, and spices that can be used to add a natural fragrance to any room in the home.
- Scented pillows: Scented pillows are a great way to add aromatherapy to the bedroom. They come in a variety of scents and can help promote better sleep.
- Aromatherapy bath products: Aromatherapy bath products, such as bath salts and bath bombs, can help promote relaxation and reduce stress levels.
Incorporating soundproofing elements like acoustic panels or curtains can help reduce noise levels and promote a calm environment. Here are some ideas for soundproofing your home:
- Seal up holes and cracks: Be extremely thorough in sealing up any holes and cracks in the walls, windows, doors, and siding of your home. Use flexible polyurethane or latex caulk to seal cracks and gaps around windows, doors, and siding.
- Use soundproof curtains: Soundproof curtains are a great way to reduce noise levels in a room. They are made with special materials that absorb sound and can be hung over windows or doors.
- Add insulation: Adding insulation to the walls and ceilings of your home can help reduce noise levels. Use a sound-absorbing insulation material, such as fiberglass or cellulose, to help reduce noise levels.
- Use soundproofing panels: Soundproofing panels are made with special materials that absorb sound and can be installed on walls or ceilings to help reduce noise levels. These are important when you have lots of meetings via Zoom or any other online meeting tool!
- Install soundproof doors: Soundproof doors are specially designed to reduce noise levels and can be installed on interior or exterior doors.
- Use rugs and carpets: Rugs and carpets can help absorb sound and reduce noise levels in a room.
Incorporating the principles of Feng Shui can help create a harmonious and balanced space. Here are several ways to incorporate Feng Shui into your home:
- Declutter: Clearing clutter from your home is an important aspect of Feng Shui. Get rid of anything that is broken, unused, or no longer serves a purpose.
- Use the Bagua map: The Bagua map is a Feng Shui tool that is used to map out the different areas of a home and the corresponding life areas they represent. Use the Bagua map to identify areas of your home that correspond to different areas of your life, such as career, health, and relationships.
- Balance the five elements: Feng Shui is based on the five elements: wood, fire, earth, metal, and water. Use these elements to create a balanced and harmonious atmosphere in your home.
- Use mirrors: Mirrors are an important aspect of Feng Shui, as they can be used to reflect light and create a sense of spaciousness in a room. Use mirrors strategically to enhance the flow of energy in your home.
- Use color: Color is an important aspect of Feng Shui, as different colors are associated with different life areas. Use color strategically to create a balanced and harmonious atmosphere in your home.
As the principles of Feng Shui already explained, decluttering your space is critical for overall wellbeing! Removing unnecessary items and keeping the space tidy can help reduce stress and promote a sense of calm.
The golden rule of decluttering is this: everything needs its own place in a well-functioning space. This means that you have lots of closet space in different rooms, and you keep them organized. Here are a few tips for decluttering your home:
- Start small: Decluttering can be overwhelming, so it’s important to start small. Begin by tackling one room or area at a time, such as a closet or a drawer. This can help you feel more accomplished and motivated to continue decluttering.
- Use the “Keep, Donate, Toss” method: When decluttering, sort items into three piles: keep, donate, and toss. This can help you make decisions about what to keep and what to get rid of, and can also make the decluttering process more efficient.
- Be ruthless: When decluttering, it’s important to be ruthless and get rid of anything that you no longer need or use. Ask yourself if you have used the item in the past year, and if not, consider donating or tossing it. Remember, decluttering is about creating a more organized and functional space, so be willing to let go of items that are taking up valuable space in your home.
Biophilic design is one of the principles of neuro design, and a big trend in home design because it promotes health and wellbeing, enhances aesthetics, increases productivity, is eco-friendly, and creates a stronger connection to nature.
As people become more aware of the benefits of incorporating natural elements into their homes, biophilic design is likely to continue to be a popular trend in home design. Incorporating natural elements like wood, stone, plants, and water can help create a connection to the natural world and promote wellness.
Elements of Biophilic Design
In addition to natural light and indoor plants, here are a few more ways to add biophilia in your home:
- Views of nature: Views of nature, such as trees, water, or wildlife, can help create a connection to nature and promote relaxation and wellbeing.
- Natural materials: Using natural materials, such as wood, stone, or bamboo, can help create a natural and harmonious atmosphere in the home.
- Water features: Incorporating water features, such as fountains or indoor ponds, can help create a calming and relaxing atmosphere in the home.
- Biomorphic forms and patterns: Using organic shapes and patterns, such as those found in nature, can help create a more natural and harmonious atmosphere in the home.
Artwork and photography
Displaying artwork or photography that is meaningful to the individual can help create a calming and inspiring atmosphere for several reasons:
- Personal connection: Artwork or photography that is meaningful to the individual can create a personal connection and evoke positive emotions, such as happiness, nostalgia, or inspiration.
- Visual interest: Displaying artwork or photography that is visually interesting can help create a more dynamic and engaging atmosphere in the home.
- Expression of identity: Displaying artwork or photography that is meaningful to the individual can help express their identity and personality, creating a more personalized and unique atmosphere in the home.
- Positive associations: Artwork or photography that has positive associations, such as memories of a happy time or a favorite place, can help create a calming and uplifting atmosphere in the home.
Choosing warm and soft lighting can help create a cozy and welcoming environment. Here are some tips to consider:
- Warm vs. cool lighting: Warm lighting has a yellow or orange hue and can create a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Cool lighting has a blue or white hue and can create a more energizing and stimulating atmosphere. Consider using warm lighting in bedrooms and living areas, and cool lighting in workspaces and kitchens.
- Dimmable lighting: Dimmable lighting can help create a more flexible and adaptable atmosphere in the home. It can also help promote relaxation and calmness in the evening.
- Task lighting: Task lighting is focused lighting that is used for specific tasks, such as reading or cooking. It can help reduce eye strain and improve productivity.
- Accent lighting: Accent lighting is used to highlight specific features or areas of a room, such as artwork or architectural details. It can help create a more visually interesting and dynamic atmosphere in the home.
- Energy-efficient lighting: Energy-efficient lighting, such as LED bulbs, can help reduce energy costs and promote sustainability.
Overall, choosing the right lighting, besides natural lighting, involves considering factors such as warm vs. cool lighting, dimmable lighting, task lighting, accent lighting, and energy efficiency. By choosing the right lighting, you can enhance wellbeing in your home and create a more comfortable and inviting atmosphere.
Incorporating different textures like plush fabrics and natural materials can help create a sensory experience and promote relaxation. Here’s how:
- Tactile stimulation: Different textures can provide tactile stimulation, which can help promote relaxation and reduce stress. Plush fabrics, such as velvet or faux fur, can provide a soft and cozy feeling, while natural materials, such as wood or stone, can provide a more tactile and grounding feeling.
- Visual interest: Incorporating different textures can add visual interest and create a more dynamic and engaging atmosphere in the home. This can help promote relaxation by creating a more visually stimulating and interesting environment.
- Connection to nature: Incorporating natural materials, such as wood or stone, can help create a connection to nature, which can have a calming and grounding effect on the mind and body.
- Comfort: Plush fabrics and other soft materials can provide a sense of comfort and coziness, which can help promote relaxation and reduce stress.
Incorporating different textures like plush fabrics and natural materials can help create a sensory experience and promote relaxation by providing tactile stimulation, adding visual interest, creating a connection to nature, and providing a sense of comfort.
Ensuring good air quality through proper ventilation and air filtration systems can promote overall health and wellness. In addition to the natural air purifiers, your plants, here are several ways you can improve the air quality by design:
- HVAC systems: Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems can help improve air quality by filtering out pollutants and circulating clean air throughout the home.
- Air filters: Air filters can be installed in HVAC systems or used as standalone units to help remove pollutants from the air.
- Non-toxic materials: Using non-toxic materials, such as low-VOC (volatile organic compound) paints and natural cleaning products, can help reduce the amount of pollutants in the air.
- Proper ventilation: Ensuring proper ventilation in the home, such as opening windows or using exhaust fans, can help remove pollutants and circulate fresh air.
- Humidity control: Maintaining proper humidity levels in the home can help prevent the growth of mold and other pollutants.
- Air purifiers: Standalone air purifiers can be used to help remove pollutants from the air, particularly in areas with high levels of pollution or allergens.
- Carbon monoxide detectors: Installing carbon monoxide detectors can help prevent exposure to this dangerous gas, which can be produced by gas stoves, fireplaces, and other appliances.
Choosing furniture and fixtures that are ergonomic can help promote good posture and reduce strain on the body. Here are some great tips for choosing ergonomic furniture:
- Adjustability: Look for ergonomic furniture that is adjustable, such as chairs with adjustable seat height, armrests, and lumbar support. This will allow you to customize the furniture to your body and promote proper posture and comfort.
- Support: Choose ergonomic furniture that provides adequate support for your body, particularly your back and neck. Look for chairs with a high backrest and adjustable lumbar support, and desks that are the proper height for your body.
- Comfort: Choose ergonomic furniture that is comfortable to use for extended periods of time. Look for chairs with cushioned seats and breathable materials, and desks with ample legroom and space for your computer and other equipment.
Creating a designated space for meditation or mindfulness practices can help promote relaxation and reduce stress. Here are some tips for creating a meditation space in a home:
- Choose a quiet and calming location: Look for a location in your home that is quiet and calming, such as a spare room, a corner of your bedroom, or a space in your backyard. This will help create a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere for meditation.
- Use natural elements: Incorporate natural elements, such as plants, natural light, or a water feature, into your meditation space. This can help create a connection to nature and promote relaxation.
- Add comfortable seating: Choose comfortable seating, such as a cushion or a chair with a soft cushion, to help promote relaxation and comfort during meditation.
- Personalize the space: Add personal touches, such as artwork or items that have special meaning to you, to help create a more personalized and inviting atmosphere in your meditation space.
- Minimize distractions: Remove any distractions, such as electronics or clutter, from your meditation space to help create a more focused and peaceful atmosphere.
- Set the mood: Consider using candles, essential oils, or soft music to help set the mood and promote relaxation during meditation.
Creating a meditation space in a home involves choosing a quiet and calming location, incorporating natural elements, adding comfortable seating, personalizing the space, minimizing distractions, and setting the mood.
By creating a dedicated space for meditation, you can help promote relaxation and mindfulness in your daily life.
Incorporating water features can help create a calming and soothing environment. Here’s how you can do it both indoors and outdoors:
- Indoor water features: Indoor water features, such as fountains or indoor ponds, can create a calming and relaxing atmosphere in the home. They can be incorporated into living rooms, bedrooms, or even bathrooms.
- Outdoor water features: Outdoor water features, such as ponds or waterfalls, can add a natural and soothing element to outdoor spaces, such as gardens or patios. They can also help drown out noise from nearby roads or neighbors.
- Wall fountains: Wall fountains can be used both indoors and outdoors and can add a visually interesting and calming element to any space. They can be installed on a wall near a patio or in a living room or bedroom.
- Free-falling water features: Free-falling water features, such as sheet falls or spill-over spas, can create a dramatic and visually stunning effect in both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Natural materials: Incorporating natural materials, such as stone or wood, into water features can help create a more natural and harmonious atmosphere in the home.
- Lighting: Using lighting, such as underwater lights or spotlights, can help highlight water features and create a more visually interesting and dynamic atmosphere.
Incorporating water features indoors and outdoors in a home involves considering factors such as the type of water feature, location, natural materials, lighting, and the overall atmosphere you want to create. By incorporating water features, you can add a calming and relaxing element to your home and create a more visually interesting and dynamic atmosphere.
Yoga or exercise space
Why does your home need a dedicated place to exercise? Having a dedicated yoga or exercise space in your home can provide several benefits:
- Convenience: A dedicated space in your home can make it more convenient to practice yoga or exercise regularly, as you won’t need to travel to a gym or studio.
- Privacy: Practicing yoga or exercise in a dedicated space in your home can provide more privacy and reduce distractions, allowing you to focus on your practice and get the most out of it.
- Customization: Creating a dedicated space in your home allows you to customize the space to your needs and preferences, such as incorporating natural light or adding specific equipment.
- Motivation: Having a dedicated space in your home can help motivate you to practice yoga or exercise more frequently, as the space serves as a constant reminder of your commitment to your health and wellness.
- Safety: Practicing yoga or exercise in a dedicated space in your home can help reduce the risk of injury, as you can ensure that the space is free of hazards and that the equipment is properly maintained.
Having a dedicated yoga or exercise space in your home can provide convenience, privacy, customization, motivation, and safety benefits. By creating a space that is tailored to your needs and preferences, you can make it easier and more enjoyable to practice yoga or exercise regularly and improve your overall health and wellness.
Displaying positive affirmations or inspirational quotes can help promote a positive and uplifting atmosphere. If you want to keep them private, put them into places that only you will access. Or, add a book with positive affirmations next to your nightstand, so you can read one or a few every time you go to bed, or wake up.
Of course, you might want to have some in a closet too, if you need to escape the kids… just saying 😉
As we already have concluded many times: speel is the cure for most problems and a necessity for well-functioning human beings. Here are some tips for creating a perfect sleeping environment in your home:
- Keep your bedroom cool: The ideal bedroom temperature for sleep is between 60-67°F (15.5-19.5°C). Keeping your bedroom cool can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- Reduce noise: Use earplugs or a white noise machine to reduce noise levels in your bedroom. This can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- Block out the light: Use blackout curtains or an eye mask to block out light from windows or other sources. This can help promote deeper, more restful sleep.
- Choose comfortable bedding: Invest in comfortable bedding, such as a supportive mattress and pillows, and soft, breathable sheets and blankets.
- Keep your bedroom clutter-free: A cluttered bedroom can be distracting and make it harder to relax and fall asleep. Keep your bedroom tidy and free of clutter to promote a more peaceful and relaxing environment.
- Incorporate calming scents: Use essential oils or candles with calming scents, such as lavender or chamomile, to promote relaxation and reduce stress.
- Use calming colors: Choose calming colors, such as blue or green, for your bedroom decor. These colors can help promote relaxation and a sense of calm.
Creating a perfect sleeping environment in your home involves keeping your bedroom cool, reducing noise levels, blocking out light, choosing comfortable bedding, keeping your bedroom clutter-free, incorporating calming scents, and using calming colors.
Lastly, personalization is important in a home because it allows you to create a space that reflects your unique personality, tastes, and preferences. Here are some reasons why personalization is important in a home:
- Comfort: Personalizing your home can help create a more comfortable and inviting atmosphere, as it reflects your personal style and preferences. This can help you feel more relaxed and at ease in your home.
- Functionality: Personalizing your home can also help improve its functionality, as you can tailor the space to your specific needs and lifestyle. For example, you can create a home office or a workout space that meets your specific requirements.
- Creativity: Personalizing your home allows you to express your creativity and showcase your individuality. This can help create a more visually interesting and dynamic space.
- Emotional connection: Personalizing your home can help create an emotional connection to the space, as it reflects your personal history and memories. This can help create a sense of belonging and attachment to the home.
- Resale value: Personalizing your home can also help increase its resale value, as it can make the space more attractive to potential buyers who share similar tastes and preferences.
Personalization is important in a home because it can improve comfort, functionality, creativity, emotional connection, and resale value. By creating a space that reflects your unique personality and preferences, you can create a more inviting and enjoyable living environment.
The Importance of Incorporating Wellness into Home Design & Decor
The Importance Of Incorporating Wellness Into Home Design & Decor is that it can help create a more peaceful and relaxing living environment. By incorporating elements such as natural light, plants, and calming colors, you can create a space that promotes relaxation and reduces stress.
Additionally, incorporating ergonomic furniture and creating dedicated spaces for yoga or exercise can promote physical health and wellbeing.
Overall, incorporating wellness into home design and decor can help improve both physical and mental health, creating a more harmonious and enjoyable living environment.